Come experience a weekend away in the hills of Western North Carolina!
These one-of-a-kind retreat, featuring talks on rites of passage that engage both fathers and sons, will be a weekend of adventure, spiritual formation and prayer.
Included in the weekend will be a traditional pig slaughter and roast, skeet shooting, and more. Throughout the weekend, Jason M. Craig, co-founder of Fraternus and author of Leaving Boyhood Behind, will guide participants to a deeper understanding of their relationships as fathers and sons, their identity as men, and provide simple but important principles to strength this bond. However, the most important part is the experience of the fathers with their sons in natural Christian brotherhood.
- Price covers housing, food, talks, and experiences during the weekend.
- Also included is a copy of Leaving Boyhood Behind.
- Availability is very limited.
Upcoming Dates for 2022:
- March 18-20 (Homestead)
- May 13-15 (Father/son, 12+)
- June 10-12 (Father/son, 12+)
Father/Son Weekend Overview:
NOTE: Two (2) registrations are needed per family. (i.e. 1 per father, 1 per son). If you bring a second son (3 people total) the third person is only $100.
This is an overview, as an element of the unknown is necessary. Sacraments, including Mass, are not always available on every weekend, so participants should go to confession prior to attending. Attendees go to the local parish on Sunday if no priest is attending the retreat.
The common prayer is the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary or the Rosary. If you would like your own copy, purchase the Baronius Press version.
- Friday evening begins with a meatless dinner, introduction and welcome, and then the pig is slaughtered and cooled overnight. Fathers and sons may arrive as early as noon, but dinner is served between 5-6pm.
- Saturday begins with a breakfast featuring, like all meals, meat and dairy from the farm, followed by a cycle of talks, structured skills-based activities (processing wood, shooting (target or skeet based on ages), and free time with your son. Throughout the day participants help in the slow-cooking of the pig, which ends with the festivity that only slow-cooked pork can support.
- Sunday is a day of rest and leisure. Fathers and sons are encouraged to spend this day mostly together, and are free to either go on another adventure in Western, NC, or enjoy the hikes, scenery, and river surrounding the lodge where they stay. If there is not a priest on the retreat, everyone attends the local parish Mass. (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms are available within a reasonable distance.)
Homestead Weekend Overview:
Considering a more rural life? Wanting to improve your homesteading skills? Desiring a more self-reliant Catholic community?
Join us for a Catholic Homesteading Conference located at St. Joseph’s Farm in beautiful Western NC.
Join homesteaders and farmers for a day packed with hands on activities and discussions:
- Basics of Cows (Dairy & Beef)
- Slaughtering and Butchering (Live Pig Slaughter)
- Permaculture & Pasture Management
- Gardening for the Home Kitchen and Preservation
- Beekeeping (Beginner and Advance Classes)
- Prudent PreparednessSign-up early as space is limited.Don’t miss this opportunity to expand your skill set and network with other Catholic Homesteaders! Note that all of the presenters are from the Southeast perspective, so if this is your region you’ll be in the sort of company you need.
Spaces are usually limited to 15-20 participants. Sign up to receive updates about SFJ in general, notices of upcoming programs, or to inquiry about bringing a group.